Absentee 'mail-in' voting. How to do it!

Absentee Ballot Deadlines | Long Distance Voter - The Absentee Ballot Experts

PLEASE vote in the November 4, 2014 General Mid-Term elections!  Here are the deadlines for 'mail-in' absentee ballots and how to get your ballot.

Did you see my show on TradioV on Thursday?  
This is part of what I was discussing.  Watch it now by clicking on Janne's cartoon!


N O    E X C U S E S!!









In the United States, an absentee ballot is a ballot that the voter records and casts at a location other than the designated polling station on Election Day. Typically these ballots are mailed, though some states provide provisions for emailing ballots, faxing ballots, or delivering them in person to a designated location.[citation needed] Typically a voter must request an absentee ballot at least a week before the election occurs. Each State's Secretary of State or Director of Elections is in charge of the election process, including voter registration and absentee ballot requests. Balloting materials may be sent via the United States Postal Service without prepayment of postage for members of the Armed Forces, members of the U.S. Merchant Marine and U.S. citizens residing outside the territorial limits of the United States and the District of Columbia and their spouses.[23]
Absentee voting by mail is allowed with no excuse in 28 states, and with an excuse in 22. No-excuse permanent absentee voting is allowed in 4 states. Early voting in person is allowed with no excuse required in 31 U.S. states, with an excuse in 3, and not at all in 16. The District of Columbia requires an excuse for both early voting and absentee voting.[24]
Voters (usually) mark their ballots, which may be an optically read ballot marked with a pen or pencil, or may be a punched card ballot. They then mail the ballot to the state, or may bring the ballot in person to a designated location.
Each state has different laws regulating when absentee ballots must be counted, and who does the counting. Most states count absentee ballots on Election Day which can continue for several days after. The latest deadline is 10 days after Election day (for Washington, D.C., and for overseas absentee ballots sent to Florida.)
American citizens who are overseas, including active members of the military, are covered by the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act that, among other things, provides for a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot which may be used in place of absentee ballots provided under state laws. The Federal Voting Assistance Program is a government program that assists such voters and exercises other authority under this act. This has been supplemented by the Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act.

Comments

  1. Very interesting show on Thursday. I really hope it inspires people to vote by one way or another. There are a options so really, no excuse at all to just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a heads up--some states have restrictions for absentee ballots. Where I live (Pennsylvania), you can only cast an absentee ballot if (a) you have a disability or (b) if you will be absent from the municipality on election day. My mother gets one because of mobility and vision issues, but because I teach in the same town where I reside, I am not eligible to cast an absentee ballot. So, on November 3, I will drive to the local fire hall after work and cast my ballot. Meanwhile, I can either affix a first class stamp to the request for my mother (it's not postage paid here in PA), or I can deliver her application to the county court house. Also, with the absentee ballot application, we are required to provide acceptable ID (having a social security number, for instance, qualifies).

    The funny part about this process is that the absentee ballot application was provided by the Republican Party, yet neither my mother or I are registered Republicans. I wonder if the Democratic Party provides the postage paid absentee ballot applications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I was 18, I have always exercised my right to vote. I believe that if you don't vote than you have no right to complain.
    I for one would love to be able to vote for whomever I want on a ballot, be it Democrat or Republican. I don't think that because I am registered with one party that I should have to vote for just that party. I may not agree or like that persons views or ideas.
    I also think that there should be term limits...especially if they are not doing their job. If their elected to do a job they should do, if not it's time to go.
    I also think that election funding should be equal for all. Someone may make a good Congressman or President but maybe can't run because of funding or corporate greed.
    I like your cave theory Charlie, but I believe that there is the protectors (whom can also be thinkers) , the thinkers and the watchers. We all need to do our part and contribute and not just watch the world go by.
    We can't make changes if we don't vote...So I encourage everyone to vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of watchers, I should have said followers. They more or less just follow the crowd without putting any thought into why, other than it's popular or because maybe some famous person said so.

      Delete
  4. West Virginia voters with a valid excuse may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.

    Download and print the absentee ballot applicationFill the form out completely, and sign and date where indicated.Mail, fax, email, or hand-deliver the completed form to your County Clerk. Do not send this form to your Secretary of State or it will not be processed. Your absentee ballot application must be received by Oct 29, 2014.Absentee ballots should be delivered starting Oct 19, 2014. Follow up with your County Clerk to make sure your application was successfully processed, or to resubmit your application if necessary.Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.Sign and date where indicated.Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope. Your voted absentee ballot must be postmarked by Nov 4, 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts